[Slackbuilds-users] Upgrading PostgreSQL Using SlackBuild Script

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 17 22:19:11 UTC 2008

   Not before using a SlackBuild script to build PostgreSQL for an upgrade,
I want to avoid errors that might lose my data.

   Am I correct that I would follow the same basic protocol as if I built the
new version manually from source? That is, move the existing version from
/var/lib/pgsql to another directory, change the port to a number other than
the default, stop the postmaster, upgradepkg, start the new version, use the
new version's dumpall pointed at the older version, then use the newer
version's reload to install the databases in it?

Rich