[Slackbuilds-users] specifying slackware version in the slackBuilds

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon May 12 04:10:44 UTC 2008

Phillip Warner wrote:
> I think there should be something in the slackBuilds that says what
> slackware version the script was designed for.  I suggest specifying the
> slackware version in the .info file and the .slackBuild file.
>
> This can be useful for two purposes.  One, it can help you to use the
> right script for a certain slackware version (some differ in more than
> just subtle ways).    Second, it is also possible that having the
> version stated can help you determine what slackware version the package
> was built for.  This is possible if the slackware version is mentioned
> in the .slackBuild file, as it is included as a part of every SBo
> package.  So, to determine what version of slackware the SBo package is
> intended for, you can just look at that file in the package.

Quite frankly, I don't see how this addition would help *us* (that
is, the admins).  While it's not a huge effort to implement once the
initial addition is done, the initial change of adding the relevant
line to *.info files to the entire repository *is* a huge amount of
work, so here's the verdict:  Unless someone can point out how this
change will help *us* - we're not going to do it.  Other than that,
there's not really any objection to the feature, as it's nonintrusive
otherwise, so if someone else not affiliated with the project thinks
it's worth the amount of effort required to do it and then send us
a patch, maybe we'll accept it (but no promises, of course).

-RW