[Slackbuilds-users] Why did my SSLeay-SlackBuild get edited?

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Wed Nov 5 22:45:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:46:36 -0500
pkw <listreader at lupulin.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 08:21:19AM -0600, Robby Workman wrote:
> > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:03:07 +0100
> > "Manuel Reimer" <Manuel.Reimer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Why did you change this part? Why do you think it's a cleaner way
> > > to do things, to not tell tar to ignore the permissions in the
> > > archive, but to allow tar to extract with silly permissions just
> > > to be able to fix up the crap in a second step?
> >
> > That's just the way we do it.  Is there a *technical* problem with
> > our way, or are we going to argue about the best color to paint the
> > bike shed?
>
> C'mon.  You might not have been asked in the nicest way, but you were
> asked a question.  "Because I said so", is not an answer.  And
> Parkinson's Law doesn't apply, because *any* line in a short shell
> script cannot be called trivial.

I didn't say "because I said so" - I said "that's just the way we do
it," and it *is* in fact the way we do it.  I then asked if there is a
*technical* reason that we should do it some other way.  If there is
*not* a technical reason, then we'll just be arguing about what color
to paint the bike shed.  Letting everyone paint a little bit of it in
their desired color isn't an option, because that will be patently
ugly; therefore, someone has to "win" the discussion.  Since it's *our*
bike shed, guess who wins?  :-)

By the way, tar(1) has a somewhat sordid history of behavior
consistency from one release to another; while we can depend on the
*basic* options to remain the same, are we sure that the same can be
said for all of them?  I don't personally know with respect to the
history of find(1) in this regard, but I *do* know that there's a
reason Slackware's pkgtool suite is hardcoded to use tar-1.13 still...

-RW