[Slackbuilds-users] kdenlive Slackbuild

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Thu Aug 6 15:45:57 UTC 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009 14:40:25 Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:
> ---- 8< ---- Antonio Hernández Blas ---- 8< ----
>
> >> Would it be okay if one submitted a build with stable versions - as
> >> could
> >> be accepted at Slackbuilds.org - but in the notes also noted that the
> >> author also does a bleeding edge version, which is available on his own
> >> site, but which is not signed by SBo?
> >
> > Sorry, but as normal user, would you really trust in some "untested"
> > shell script without the check by any SBo admin for malicious
> > activity?. I have some slackbuilds at my homepage, but since any SBo
> > admin haven´t tested them i dont think it would be good to add this
> > information cause it can be misinterpreted and seen as if SBo´s admins
> > are agree with them. Thats why i have this message in my homepage:
> > http://hba.ath.cx/projects/slackbuilds/testing/README.WARNING
> >
> > My suggestion, just drop an email to MAINTAINER to see if theres an
> > SlackBuild for the latest and greatest version from svn/hg/git. In
> > this way you are the one accepting to be in its own from the first
> > place ;-)
> >
> > - hba
>
> I see your point, but my idea was for someone who is a maintainer already
> and has submitted an approved stable package. This means that users of the
> site knows that he knows how to build a build, even if the unstable build
> is not approved for the site - since it has another agenda.

You jump to conclusions. Having a script approved once does not mean every
follow up script is perfectly fine. Things can change, in the tarball, the way
it builds, etc. Although most updates are indeed only simple version bumps,
also those simple changes can be tricky at times.
Also, even the best maintainer is not perfect and can make mistakes. That's
why there's the "multiple eyes" approach on SBo.

Grs,
Heinz