[Slackbuilds-users] The plot thickens: A couple of 13.0 questions

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Aug 29 04:32:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:26:19 -0500
"Patrick J. Volkerding" <volkerdi at slackware.com> wrote:

> Robby Workman wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:35:29 +0200
> > Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér <mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> So, a new day, a new Slackware version. Have looked at the RCs -
> >> interesting changes. Let's see what we can make out of this one!
> >> Competition is strong - the 12.2 was a very good release, in my
> >> opinion. Done torrenting down, now pushing. I will be preparing
> >> some updated versions of my Slackbuilds for the submission queue -
> >> I put off the version bumps until after the new release. Now, a
> >> couple of questions: After a cleanup of the Gnome dependencies,
> >> the development version of Abiword now builds on Slackware - with
> >> one exception: It requires libgsf to be rebuilt to include gio.
> >

> > No, it doesn't: http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/13.0/
> > Well, I don't know about the development version, but if it requires
> > something that Slackware doesn't (yet) include, then I guess we'll
> > just stick to the stable version in our repository here.
>
> I heard the same thing about goffice and gnumeric, but wasn't sure of
> the side effects of enabling gio...  like, does it require other
> parts of GNOME to avoid routing data to a black hole?  I know there
> are gio things already included in glib, and had verified that libgsf
> compiles just fine with gio enabled.

The "black hole" concern is exactly why I never even suggested it
along the way to 13.0.  I know that the xfce devs have encountered
some issues in that area (stuff hardcoded to look for "gnome-mount"
and "gnome-terminal" and such), and I haven't had time to do any
testing at all with gio-enabled applications, so I simply don't
know how/if they're going to behave.

> Probably it's something to float now in -current, but it seemed a
> little too risky as 13.0 approached.

Yep yep; we'll talk more on that later.  :-)

-RW