[Slackbuilds-users] virtualbox-ose (3.0.4) on x86_64

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Sun Aug 30 21:19:03 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 19:07:27 Robby Workman wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:33:49 +0200
>
> markus reichelt <ml at mareichelt.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the only way to get vbox on slack64 is by either
> > > running the binary build (ie virtualbox puel), or by installing
> > > 32bit-compat libs for the compilation.
> > >
> > > Virtualbox needs the gcc, g++ and glibc 32bit components, but only
> > > on build time. It runs fine without them, so you can remove those
> > > packages again after building the package.
> >
> > Where do I find these?
> >
> > I just installed slack13-64 on a new machine and this is my first
> > time fiddling around with a pure 64bit OS. I am compiling some
> > essential packages for personal use, no probs so far (util-linux-ng
> > with loop-AES support, aespipe, dietlibc, ...).
> >
> > But really, VirtualBox is a must for me these days.
>
> The binary-only is fine - I've been using it on x86_64 since
> well before any of you knew we had an x86_64 version :-)

I agree. For most people the binary installer might be the best idea for now.
But, just to clarify, the once built slackware package of virtualbox-ose
hasn't any 32bit deps either.

> > > I tried to talk to the vbox devs already weeks ago, making them
> > > aware of the situation that slack64 doesn't have 32bit compat libs
> > > included, but no luck. They don't seem to care enough about such an
> > > "exotic" system.
> >
> > Doesn't sound too promising... I'll gladly chime in. Who knows, maybe
> > they just need a little push to come to their senses.
>
> Well, as with everything else, sometimes the effort/time required
> to do something isn't worth the payoff.  I don't *know* that this
> is one of those, but it very well could be.

This may very well be the case, which is why I didn't pursue this any further.
The developers stated their opinion on this matter and it's their software
after all.

Grs,
Heinz