[Slackbuilds-users] Ponderings on gc.SlackBuild

Chris Abela chris.abela at maltats.com
Mon Aug 31 14:38:52 UTC 2009

Hi All,

1. The gc.SlackBuild puts the man file in /usr/man/man1/

> mkdir -p $PKG/usr/man/man1
> mv $PKG/usr/share/gc/gc.man $PKG/usr/man/man1/gc.1
> gzip -9 $PKG/usr/man/man1/gc.1

While the first line in the man file suggests that this is the correct
place, I suspect that gc is a C library Function, not a User Command and
thus /usr/man/man3 would have been more appropriate:

< mkdir -p $PKG/usr/man/man3
< mv $PKG/usr/share/gc/gc.man $PKG/usr/man/man3/gc.3
< gzip -9 $PKG/usr/man/man3/gc.3

2. The gc homepage recommend Version 6.8.
While the slackbuilds.org links to Version 7.1, the Slackbuild also works
for gc6.8
"Typically several versions will be available. Usually you should first try
to use gc_source/gc.tar.gz". If that fails, then we should try Version 7.1.
gc6.8 builds fine here.
Why was it decided agains the recommendations of the source author?

3. The link from /usr/doc/gc-$VERSION to /usr/share/gc is perhaps
superflous. Slackers know where to find their docs, right :-) ?

Chris