[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with nvidia-legacy173 slackbuild

Joe S joesplace100 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:16:39 UTC 2009

I installed the nvidia-legacy173 series from slackbuilds.org.
When I try to run startx I get the following message:
The nvidia kernel module has version 71.86.06, but
the nvidia driver component has version 173.14.12
I can't get graphics.
This is the output from lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)

I used the slackbuild for the nvidia-legacy71 and it works OK for the GeForce FX
5500
According to the nvidia website the 173 series should be the one to work for
this card. This slackbuild also works for the following card which it is supposed to work for:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (rev 15)

Thanks.