[Slackbuilds-users] Moving sbopkg to /usr/sbin and require root

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Wed Feb 11 01:13:01 UTC 2009

Sorry for the cross-post to sbopkg and slackbuilds.org mailing lists but
I want to get as much feedback as possible.

Currently, sbopkg can be run by root or a non-root user.  Certain
functions or features can only be done by a root user, of course, like
building and installing packages.  However, trying to maintain this dual
permission standard is becoming very problematic.  More than once I have
considered removing the 'user-mode' from sbopkg, move sbopkg to
/usr/sbin, and require sbopkg be run only by the root user, like
pkgtool, slackpkg, and other similar tools require.  Several unrelated
issues have brought this to the forefront again and I am now very much
leaning towards making this change.

So, the question is:  how many people feel strongly about keeping the
ability to run sbopkg as a non-root user?  Could folks adapt to using
sbopkg only as root?

Feel free to respond on the list or privately.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

--
Chess Griffin