[Slackbuilds-users] Moving sbopkg to /usr/sbin and require root

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Fri Feb 13 14:48:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:14:11 +0100
Serban Udrea <serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> >> At the moment I use
> >>
> >> chown -R $UID:$GROUPS .
>
> > It's wrong, since the standard is to have executables owned as
> > root:root.
>
> Not necessarily wrong, if you run the script as root you get the
> right ownership. Moreover "chown root:root" can be applied in the
> post-install script to what got installed, it's not necessary to have
> it in the SlackBuild.

Generally speaking, chown/chmod statements in the doinst.sh script are
begging for trouble and should almost never be done. Any large package
could have thousands, even tens of thousands of these files, and you'd
either have to wildcard match them, or list them individually. Then we
get to permissions problems on directories.  Imagine some one doing
this.

chown -R /usr root:root
chmod -R 755 /usr

Instant broken box.

There's one reason we don't accept things like that as "solutions", but
there are others as well.

Ecclesiastes 7:5