[Slackbuilds-users] sbopkg search tags

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Sat Jan 31 02:55:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:06:10 +0100
Aleksandar Samardzic <asamardzic at matf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

> On the other side: wouldn't be possible (if not already implemented)
> for sbopkg to employ grep, or something alike to search through
> README/slack-desc files?

That should be doable, but I don't think it's a good idea. For
starters, I don't see it getting used too much; the slack-desc file is
just unlikely to have exactly what you're looking for.  False-positives
and false-negatives would (I imagine) be pretty high.  The code to do
it isn't too complex though.

# WARNING: The following code is completely untested and subject to
#result in death or dismemberment
echo -n "Enter search terms in regular
expression: "
readline GREP_REGEX
find . -type f -name "slack-desc" | (while read SD; do
  APP=$(dirname "$SD" | cut -d '/' -f 2)
  if grep "$GREP_REGEX" "$SD" >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    # APP contains the regex
    echo "$APP matches"
  fi
done)

Of course, you'd want to eliminate the comments that often are at the
top of the slack-desc file, and it would be nice to concatenate all the
valid lines of the slack-desc file together without the annoying
PRGNAME: prepend to each of them.  Oh yeah, you'd want to filter out
the handy ruler for perfection.  In short, the slack-desc file just
doesn't lend itself well to these kind of searches, not least of all
because it might not include the same kind of information the package
tags contain.

Ecclesiastes 7:5