[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20090623

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jun 23 06:08:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:55:00 +0200
Eugen Wissner <belka.ew at gmail.com> wrote:

> And.... gnome-colors... link to source.. They have ofteh updates and
> remove old sources. and there is a problem: New version (4.1) has
> already six themes instead of five....

Damn, I forgot to handle the source issue.  I'll take care of that in a
few - thanks for the reminder.  Don't worry about 4.1 for now - it
won't be an issue until 13.0 is out, and you can do an update then :-)

> And I have an error in the
> description, in the last sentence: (gnome-noble, gnome-brave,
> gnome-human, gnome-wine,and gnome-wise) (comma before and).

I guess I'm stuck on the "old" rules for commas, but I think the comma
before "and" is entirely correct, actually.

Consider a hypothetical restaurant menu:
"Appetizer choices:  soup and crackers, baked potato, french fries,
onion rings, and potato chips"

Now a bit different layout:
"Appetizer choices: baked potato, french fries, onion rings, potato
chips, and soup and crackers"

Now another:
"Appetizer choices: baked potato, french fries, onion rings, soup and
crackers, and potato chips"

and one more:
"Appetizer choices: baked potato, french fries, onion rings, soup and
crackers and potato chips"

In the last two entries, the *only* way to be sure about what is and is
not included is to place the commas as I think is correct.  Otherwise,
one is left wondering "Do I get soup, crackers, and potato chips?"
Granted, you could change the ordering of the entries and it would be
more clear, but clarity should not depend on the ordering, and IMNSHO,
neither should comma rules. :-)

-RW