[Slackbuilds-users] updating exiv2 breaks gwenview

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sun May 10 06:32:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, 09 May 2009 17:08:28 +0200
Michael Wagner <slackware.wagnerm at arcor.de> wrote:

> > Updating exiv2 and libkexiv2 to the current version will break
> > gwenview. Neither will an existing binary work anymore nor will you
> > be able to compile against the updated libraries!
> >

> An update has already been submitted to the pending queue.
>
> Shouldn't it be necessary to mention an API/ABI/SONAME breakage while
> uploading packages including shared libraries?

Unfortunately, this happens (even though we try to avoid it), and it's
not always obvious to either the submitter or us when it does.  As with
the actual Slackware tree, the best we can hope to happen is to quickly
catch it when it does and push an update.  I'll try to look at the new
gwenview asap.

-RW