[Slackbuilds-users] [FYI]SlackBuild for python modules should be architecture dependent

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri May 29 04:08:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:57:06 -0500
Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2009 23:45:40 -0400
> xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 28 May 2009 22:59:18 Dragon Wisard wrote:
> > > I don't like the idea of defaulting to noarch if the package is
> > > incompatible with x86_64. If we're going to have separate
> > > packages, they should be clearly marked as such. Making one
> > > 'noarch' and one 'x86_64' is inconsistent. It's either 'noarch'
> > > or it isn't.
> > >

> > Then for 32 bit if it in not noarch then what its it? its not i386
> > or i486 or i585 or i686. I don't see this as a problem that needs
> > solving. It is really no different than a package for slackware 11
> > not working on slackware 12.2. The packages are Slackware version
> > (64 bit being a different version) dependant not arch dependant. If
> > the package builder prefers to call the package something else then
> > they can. Most of the python builds are noarch there is no arch
> > dependant code in them so they ARE noarch. The problem is caused by
> > a different version of Slackware that uses a different python path.
>

> And of course, that's a valid counterpoint.  I guess we (the admins)
> will discuss this elsewhere and work out something :-)
>
> -RW

I am probably missing the finer points of this discussion, but it seems
to me that the current system works just fine.  User A on a 32 bit
system who has not set ARCH as an environmental variable and builds a
package from a 'noarch' SlackBuild script, will end up with a package
with 'noarch' in the name and libraries in /usr/lib.  That can be
re-distributed between other 32 bit systems.  OTOH, User B on a 64 bit
sysem who has set ARCH as 'x86_64', either in the environment or
passing it to the SlackBuild script, will end up with a package with
'x86_64' in the name, with libraries in /usr/lib64 which can be
redistributed between other 64 bit systems.

The truly independent 'noarch' packages are those simple ones that
simply build a single /usr/bin/ binary with make or that install icon
sets or something.

--
Chess Griffin