[Slackbuilds-users] gcc flags for Slackware64 packages and SlackBuilds

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 23:04:16 UTC 2009

Hi to all,

I know the standard flags we put in SlackBuilds for Slackware 32-bits
& 64-bits versions, but I have seen some "./configure" scripts
including extra flags for the compiler like "-m64" or "-march=k8 /
-mtune=k8" and even "-mtune=core2".

The results work fine on my machine (with a Core2 processor), but
should we avoid these in SlackBuilds or in pre-built packages?
I browsed the gcc documentation but it did not give me a very clear answer...

For instance, if I use -m64 (thus changing the length of (int)), can
this cause problems when using libraries not compiled with this flag?
Or is "k8" completely compatible with "core2" and the other way around?

Clarifications are welcome...

Niels Horn