[Slackbuilds-users] feh scrot & giblib sources

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Wed Oct 7 05:20:36 UTC 2009

Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> Hi,
> i asked about this in #slackbuilds earlier too but noone from the team
> was available at the moment, so i will ask here too so that i don't
> forget about this.
> Tom Gilbert who was the developer of feh, scrot & giblib sources is not
> maintaing the applications any more.
> In his blog http://linuxbrit.co.uk/ you can read the following:
> "Sorry, but for those of you who used to follow my blog for the open
> source software I wrote – you won’t see too much of that. I just don’t
> do it so much any more – my life is full of work (where I still have a
> technical job but don’t write code any more) and hobbies where I more
> and more find myself outside and away from computers. Want to fork one
> of my old projects? Ping me for the source code"
> So the sources for all three applications are unavailable, and there is
> no homepage for them. How should that be dealt with? I've noticed some
> sources are uploaded to slackbuilds.org, if i am not mistaking. Is that
> appropriate in this situation as well? They could also be hosted some
> place outside SBo as well like googlecode or something similar.
> Additionally there is the homepage issue. I guess the projects freshmeat
> pages could be used there. They seem to be all submitted by their
> author http://freshmeat.net/users/gilbertt until someone else picks em
> up in the future.

Update on this
Tom Gilbert seems to have added a homepage at least for feh,
http://linuxbrit.co.uk/software/feh/ and hosts the sources of all his
projects in http://linuxbrit.co.uk/downloads/ , at least for now.
That means the SlackBuilds will work as they are now. Only the homepage
links for giblib and scrot wont, but thats not a big deal.

Greg