[Slackbuilds-users] ARCH setting in build scripts

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Oct 8 20:23:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:43:11 -0400
Eric Schultz <eric at cameron-schultz.ca> wrote:

> I'm not sure what's better but I do like the idea of using uname -m as
> the standard and letting the user who builds for other architectures
> set their own ARCH manually at invocation.
>
> I wonder though if it's sufficient to use ARCH=${ARCH:-$(uname -m)} or
> if I should/could provide a default for uname -m and whether I need to
> account for a default in the if block shortly after ARCH is assigned?
> I.e.: Make "i486" the default if ARCH is neither "i686" or "x86_64"

If it's submitted to us, it needs to default to i486 until or
unless Slackware moves to i686 by default in its builds.  There
are obvious exceptions for noarch packages, repacked binaries
that are for i386 only, and that sort of thing, but generally
speaking, we want to see ARCH=${ARCH:-i486} in things that
come our way.

-RW