[Slackbuilds-users] Who's maintaining how many

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:09:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Pierre Cazenave <pwcazenave at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/08/2010 16:00, Ben Mendis wrote:
>>
>> It's amazing. It looks like it would probably be an exponential
>> curve.
>>
>> @Android/Gmail: To be fair Gmail does a good job of folding quoted
>> text so it's not much of a problem unless you're using a non-Google
>> mail reader...and who would dare to do something crazy like that?
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM, JK Wood<joshuakwood at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For some, I imagine it's easier than others - I don't maintain
>>> anything with a ridiculous dependency chain I also have to
>>> maintain.
>>>
>>> Also, sorry for top-posting - blame the Android gmail app team.
>>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2010 9:49 AM, "Binh Nguyen"<binhnguyen at fastmail.fm>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just curious among maintainers who's maintaining the largest
>>> packages, I issued this command on my local SBo (get them with
>>> rsync)
>>>
>>> find SBo/13.1/ -name "*.info" -exec grep -H 'MAINTAINER' {} \; |
>>> cut -d= -f2 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr>  maintainers.txt
>>>
>>> and the result
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/qF6k366M
>>>
>>> It's amazing that some guys like Robby and Erik can maintain over
>>> 100 packages! How could they manage to keep track of all their
>>> packages?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> -- Binh Nguyen _______________________________________________
>>> Archives -
>>> http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/ FAQ -
>>> http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

>>> Archives -
>>> http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/ FAQ -
>>> http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

> I put the data in Calc and got it to run its (probably sketchy) regression.
> It wouldn't fit an exponential curve, but the power curve worked nicely,
> though gave an odd equation: 758.68x^-1.17 (negative power makes sense,
> since it's a decreasing function). The correlation coefficient (r) is 0.97
> in this instance, which is pretty damned good.
>
> I've attached the figure, for those that way inclined.
>
> Pierre

I keep track of SlackBuilds I maintain basically with:
- freshmeat
- subscribing lists
- using a spreadsheet with the name of the package, homepage, etc. and
the date I checked last for updates. This sheet contains a formula
"warning" me if I haven't checked a program for more than a month.

Right now I'm behind schedule with several updates, due to a
more-than-heavy workload at my "real" job... But I'll catch up again
:)

(btw, surprised I ended up in ninth place!)

Niels