[Slackbuilds-users] Maintenance of orphans

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Dec 3 22:55:43 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 06:38:54 Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:56:56 -0500
>
> Matthew Fillpot <mfilpot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am still thinking it would be best to just have:
> > * Application Name
> > * Homepage
> > * Application Category (derived from slackbuilds.org category list)
> > * Extended type (optional dropdown list of freedesktop categories)
> > * Description (250 Characters)
> > * Additional Notes (optional) - can use use to list any additional
> > information including architecture, build system, etc...
> >
> > And based upon the noted feedback it may be useful to add an upvote
> > button so people can add their vote for previously requested apps that
> > they  would also like to use, easily displaying priority to potential
> > maintainers.
> >
> > As for the potential of letting users upload a list of builds they
> > wish to orphan, that is questionable because I think it would still be
> > best for the maintainers to advise the official mailing-list so the
> > Sbo admins know that you do indeed wish to drop those builds, then
> > have me manually add them to the database from that announcement.
>
> In the additional notes - if there is an introductory note about what
> these could contain, it should be noted if there is a previous
> SlackBuild from older versions or a build has been orphaned.

Something that just crossed my mind, and would probably fit in the context of
that list, is a "dumping ground" of SlackBuilds the author doesn't want to
maintain (pre SBo submission).

The reasoning behind it would be, that at least I am doing some amount of
SlackBuilds for apps I'm curious about, but end up not being interested in in
the long term for various reasons (not what I was looking for, didn't quite
work for what I want, don't need it anymore, etc) and hence never submit to
SBo. But that wouldn't mean that there isn't someone out there who might be
interested in that app and willing to maintain it. And I imagine there might
be others doing "hidden work" as well :)

What do you guys think? Would that fit in the context of that list? Would it
be useful to anyone? Also a valid question, would it have downsides?

Grs,
Heinz