[Slackbuilds-users] spamassassin rules

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:54:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM, LukenShiro <lukenshiro at ngi.it> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm preparing an update for spamassassin SlackBuild. New version
> (3.3.0) does not ship with SA rules any longer. Previously stock
> (default) rules were in /usr/share/spamassassin/..., local
> (modified by sysadmin) rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ and dynamically
> updated ones were in /var/lib/spamassassin/....somedir.... These
> directories should be recognized in new version, too.
>
> I've a doubt concerning how to "include" rules in upcoming package;
> AFAIK in abstract terms possible choices may be the following:
>
> 1) I could insert a "/usr/bin/sa-update" in doinst.sh, to
> _automatically_ download and install rules
> in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.003000/updates_spamassassin_org/
> (not difficult to do, problem: a user is supposed to have a working
> connection when installing/upgrading this slack package)
>
> 2) I could allow a user to download rules file bundled with spamassassin
> source file (listing both of them in .info), and I could find a way to
> install it manually within spamassassin .SlackBuild script
> in /usr/share/spamassassin (maybe).
>
> 3) I could create a new slack package for SA rules only (e.g.
> spamassassin_rules-3.3.0_r901671) depending on spamassassin .tgz. It
> will maybe install files in /usr/share/spamassasin
>
> 4) I could ignore the rules problem completely :-P ... that is: I could
> put a simple warning in README about the need to run "sa-update" as root
> before using spamassassin (failure to do so means there are no rules at
> all). Not bad, as a system administrator could easily take care of
> future rules updates without waiting for SA package update.
>
> What do you guys think about this problem?
>
> --
> GNU/Linux * Slackware64 current
> Slackware 13.0-32bit VM
> LU #210970 SU #12583 LM #98222/#412913

My suggestion: Don't do anything automatically, like downloading files
when installing. It doesn't feel like "the Slackware way of doing
things".
You could include (sample) scripts to update / download the rules, put
them in the right place and suggest in a file called README.SLACKWARE
how to call them and/or how to configure cron etc.

I did this with ntop, that needs updated files.
I created some scripts I mentioned in README.SLACKWARE as examples.

Just my $0.02 ...

Niels