[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20100108

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:24:40 UTC 2010

On Monday 18 of January 2010 11:28:38 Eric Hameleers wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> > On Monday 18 of January 2010 03:04:43 xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
wrote:
> >> libraries/xulrunner: Added - XULRunner provides the XUL Runtime
> >>  environment. Thanks to David Somero.
> >
> > Isn't xulrunner already in Slackware? AFAIK its provided by
seamonkey.
> > At least in the x86_64 port since the Mozilla stack are binary
repackages
> > in i486.
>
> The xulrunner is actually a separate software. When installed, you will
be
> able to (re)compile seamonkey, firefox etc.. against it, without using the
> internal (parts of) the XUL code that is packed in the source tarballs.
> The resulting seamonkey package would be a lot smaller because
most of the
> functionality now being provided to Slackware apps by seamonkey
(the nspr
> and nss libraries for instance) are now being provided by xulrunner.

I know most of that, in fact one of my requests to Pat in the past was
having a seperate xulrunner package as it makes things much more
flexible regarding the Mozilla products but his reply was that i486 is
repackaging the binaries so it doesnt make sense having a seperate
xulrunner package there.

> And
> indeed, with xulrunner you will have the gtkmozembed library back
which
> was removed from seamonkey, which means that multimedia plugins
for the
> mozilla browsers can be compiled again.

The library needed by those plugins is libxul.so ?
At least thats what i get from reading the xulrunner README on SBo.
That library is already provided by mozilla-firefox.
Couldn't that be used instead with the addition of a doinst.sh which runs
ldconfig (in the mozilla-firefox package) instead of a seperate xulrunner?

--
Greg