[Slackbuilds-users] Patch for libmp4v2

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 13:30:53 UTC 2010

>> Since we're on the subject, what would be reasonable in these cases?
>>
>> What if a SlackBuild needs patches for -current?
>> I know SlackBuilds.org supports 13.0-stable only officially, but is it
>> OK to mention a patch in README if needed? Or create a README.CURRENT
>> if there are special instructions?
>>
>> Or (tell me if I'm going too far) let the SlackBuild check the version
>> of gcc (usually the problem with building on -current) version and
>> apply the patch?
>>
>> Sometimes (mostly?) a patch for -current will not cause any
>> side-effects on -stable and build normally on the "older" gcc. In this
>> case I guess we can apply the patch anyway (I confess I already did
>> this in one build)
>
> The issue with -current is that it's a moving target. Things might change
> drastically from one day to another. A fix that worked before might need
> adjustments to continue working, or it might no longer be necessary, or ....
> That's why we usually see those fixes for current at a far later point, usually
> around rc1 or rc2 of the coming release, because it's less likely that things
> break again at this point.
>
> BUT, that doesn't mean you cannot do anything right now. There's in fact a
> couple of things possible:
>  - try a newer version. There's the chance that it fixes the problems. (in case
> of libmp4v2 this would be an option)
>  - inform the maintainer of the script about the problem and possible
> solutions you have found.
>  - if the problem still exists in the most recent version, or we already have
> the most recent version in the repo, bug upstream. Chances are it will get
> fixed before the release of the next Slackware version.
>
> In case there's really only the way to patch it, I would say it's up to the
> maintainer of the script IMHO. Like David already mentioned, as long as it
> doesn't break stable it should be fine.
>
> I won't include any patch for -current at this time for any of my scripts.
> It's just too early in the development process for that. IMHO, a person
> running -current at this time should be able to fix such problems himself.
> But that's just my 2 cents.
>
> Grs,
> Heinz

In the ideal world, you are completely right :)

But bugging upstream does not always work. I have had really nice
experiences with some developers who helped me out resolving problems
and applying patches I suggested.
On the other hand, some others are not cooperative at all and refuse
to even correct hard-coded paths like "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/lib/"
etc.

Like you said, a person running -current *should* be able to fix
problems, but that is also not my experience :) Unfortunately many
think that -current is something like "Windows Update", or a simple
way to always run the latest versions of software.

Oh well, life's tough. :)

Niels