[Slackbuilds-users] qemu-kvm udev rules

Max Miorim miorimmax at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:52:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Niels Horn <niels.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Niels Horn <niels.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No rush :)  Thanks for taking care of this one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alex Lysenka
>>> Bachelor of Science
>>> Computer Science Major
>>> Management & Information Systems Major
>>> Northern Illinois University
>>> alysenka at niu.edu
>>
>> Actually, I *think* this was a bug in udev some time ago.
>> Which version of Slackware and udev are you using?
>>
>> It does not happen here on Slackware 13.1 w/ udev 153
>>
>> Niels
>>

> err, I replied too fast. It's been some time since this box has been
> rebooted, so the error was in syslog.2 and not in syslog :)
>
> I guess the simplest solution would be to change the udev rule to:
>
> KERNEL=="kvm", GROUP="kvm", MODE="0660"
>
> leaving out the 'NAME="%K"' part.
>
> Niels

Indeed, removing the said part would fix it.

Note that NAME="%k" is redundant: suppose you have a disk /dev/sda1,
in udev, its kernel device (%k) is "sda1" already, so there's no need
to say "hey udev, please create the device at /dev/$NAME instead of
/dev/%k, ok?". ;)

NAME="something" should be used if You wanted to have a device to be
created under somewhere other than /dev/%k. An example of this is in
/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules where video1394 devices are
created under /dev/video1394/%k.

-- Max