[Slackbuilds-users] Packaging Python/MATLAB bindings with library

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:43:21 UTC 2010

2010/6/8 João Felipe Santos <joao.eel at gmail.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm writing a SlackBuild to package a library called flann right now.
> The package comes with bindings for Python and MATLAB, and I first
> thought it would be a good idea to build them all with the same
> script. Then, when I started doing it, it looked like a not so good
> idea... it will need some hacks to get it done, but will work on the
> end of the day. I added some "flags" to the script so it can build
> only what is needed.
>
> Do you think separate packages for the binary library and each of the
> bindings is a good way to go? Is it better to package everything in
> one single package?
>
> --
> João Felipe Santos

Hi João,

Some considerations come to mind:

1) It is not unheard of to create different packages from a single
source tarball with different SlackBuild scripts (think of
nvidia-driver / nvidia-kernel as one example and zabbix-server /
zabbix-agent as another.

2) If the resulting packages serve different purposes (like in the
examples above), I would create separate SlackBuilds. If they serve
the same purpose, but for different groups of users, you can include a
switch in the SlackBuild to define if it will be built for Python or
MATLIB. If both options are mutually exclusive, you should test for
this.

All this said, remember that it is all just my personal opinion :)

Niels