[Slackbuilds-users] Suggestion for packages which require a startup file.

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 12:46:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Keith Richie <disturbed1976 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Robert Kelsen <rkelsen at optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
> >> That's not the "Slackware way" of init. Slackware uses a BSD-like init.
> >
> > Well, I wasn't expecting such a politically charged response.
> >

> > Then why are there all of these /etc/rc.d/rc*.d directories?
> >
> > People who say that Slackware's init is "BSD-like" should go and install
> > a *BSD before making this comment.
> >
> >> I vote for not using this for SlackBuilds on slackbuilds.org.
> >
> > You vote against a symlink?  You'd rather keep manually editing rc.local?
> >

> Let's see -
> A single rc.blah file, and edit rc.local{shutdown}.
>  or
> A single rc.blah, with a link to init.d, then links from that linked
> link to different run levels, a K{ill} link to stop the script in the
> proper run levels, and a S{tart} link to start the script in the
> proper run levels, along with figuring out the K/S number to get the
> order correct.
>
> I'm not entirely sure which one is easier to manage, maintain, and update
> ;-)

I think you've made the case very well and agree completely. I think the
current Slackware method is just fine.

By the way, regarding the original poster's "People who say that Slackware's
init is "BSD-like" should go and install
a *BSD before making this comment." comment: I have run both FreeBSD (which
I found too buggy as a desktop system; its reputation for solidity was
earned on servers) and OpenBSD (which is a rock-solid system, but
technically behind Linux -- e.g., no unified buffer cache, crude SMP support
-- and noticeably slower; I ran it for almost a year before tiring of the
nastiness and rudeness of the developer community -- to everyone -- which
takes its behavioral cues from Theo de Raadt). Slackware is very similar in
spirit to OpenBSD. Both place value on conceptual simplicity and the result
is that you configure them by editing things like rc.local. Both systems are
easy and straightforward to administer. I would hate to see Slackware go the
sys V route, which I always found cumbersome.

/Don