[Slackbuilds-users] Suggestion for packages which require a startup file.

xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
Sun Jun 20 14:44:36 UTC 2010

On Sunday 20 June 2010 07:44:58 Robert Kelsen wrote:
> I've got a suggestion for packages which require a startup file under
> /etc/rc.d.  It's something that the Dropline Gnome guys do...
>
> Instead of requiring the user to edit rc.local, I think it's simpler to use
> Slackware's out-of-the-box sysvinit-style capabilities.

# rc.sysvinit   This file provides basic compatibility with SystemV style
#               startup scripts.  The SystemV style init system places
#               start/stop scripts for each runlevel into directories such as
#               /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ (for runlevel 3) instead of starting them
#               from /etc/rc.d/rc.M.  This makes for a lot more init scripts,
#               and a more complicated execution path to follow through if
#               something goes wrong.  For this reason, Slackware has always
#               used the traditional BSD style init script layout.
#
#               However, many binary packages exist that install SystemV
#               init scripts.  With rc.sysvinit in place, most well-written
#               startup scripts will work.  This is primarily intended to
#               support commercial software, though, and probably shouldn't
#               be considered bug free.
#
#               Written by Patrick Volkerding <volkerdi at slackware.com>, 1999
#               from an example by Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels at cistron.nl>.

If you prefer to handle SBo init files the SystemV way you are free to do so
and I don't see any real problem doing it that way. But at Slackbuilds.org we
try and follow Slackware's style of doing things as close as we can. So the
short answer is we do it this way because Slackware does it this way.

--dsomero