[Slackbuilds-users] lshw: compilation fails

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Fri Oct 15 19:00:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:06 +0000, "Glenn Becker"
<burningc at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am trying to build lshw on one of my -current boxes, and the build is
> failing thusly:
>
> c++ -g -Wall  -DPREFIX=\"/usr\" -DSBINDIR=\"/usr/sbin\"
> -DMANDIR=\"/usr/man\" -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\" -O2 -march=i486
> -mtune=i686
> -c scsi.cc -o scsi.o
> scsi.cc: In function 'bool scan_hosts(hwNode&)':
> scsi.cc:845:74: error: cannot call constructor 'hwNode::hwNode' directly
> scsi.cc:845:74: error:   for a function-style cast, remove the redundant
> '::hwNode'
> make[2]: *** [scsi.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/lshw-B.02.14/src/core'
> make[1]: *** [core] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/lshw-B.02.14/src'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> ... should I consider writing the upstream maintainer? This doesn't seem
> (to me) to have anything to do with the Slackbuild. Or should I report
> this to the lshw maintainer?
>
> I see on the lshw webpage that
>
> "The latest version is B.02.15"
>
> ... maybe that version'd work better ...?
>
> Sorry, not sure what the protocol is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glenn

 This is to be expected to some extend now that -current has a new
 toolchain.
 It is definitely worth checking out newer versions than the ones upload
 into
SBo. Always check those (& even the upstream development trunk if
possible)
before contacting upstream. If the application has active development
that
usually means most building issues are worked out.
 FTR slackbuilds.org doesnt directly support current, so this cant
 considered
a bug. But its in the convinience of the maintainer to update it to some
later
version that may solve such building problems, granted that the newer
version
can be used in the latest Slackware stable version as well.

---
Greg