[Slackbuilds-users] Problems Building PostgreSQL-8.4.5

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 23 16:13:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Adis Nezirovic wrote:

> If you don't need "xml" functionality, you can just remove the following
> "configure" options from the build script:
>  --with-libxml
>  --with-libxslt

Adis,

   I thought of that, but I've no idea whether I need xml functionality.
Certainly nothing in SQL-Ledger, CMS Made Simple, my scientific references,
or collabnet. When I add spatial data with postGIS I don't think I'll need
xml capabilities either.

> Meanwhile, I've submitted slackbuild for PostgreSQL 9.0.1 a few days ago,
> if you have time, you can wait for that version. In any case, if you need
> any help please drop me an email, I would be glad to help you.

   I'll do the upgrade in two steps. I'll give pg_migrator a try and that's
specific for the 8.3->8.4 upgrade, then the same tool with a different name
is in contrib for 9.0 so I'll do that separately.

   While on the subject of the postgres package, I discovered this week why
I've had difficulties starting the postmaster after a reboot. First, the
original rc.postgresql script had 'su postgres -c ...' and it needs to be
'su - postgres -c ...'. Yet that change didn't make a difference. For some
reason, when the script is run by root (at least here, over several
Slackware versions and hardware changes) the postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
& command is not implemented. However, if I work manually on the command
line, in two steps:

$ su -c postgres
$ password:
$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data &

it works flawlessly because I've entered postgres' password.

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   The Plain English Science Consultant
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |   Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures