[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-driver, nvidia-kernel

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:12:35 UTC 2011

Martin,
The Sbo slackbuild scripts builds a standard slackware package. I used
the nvidia*.run as well for ages. But it does dump files all over the
place that the pkgtool doesn't know about. What happens when you
update mesa, xorg etc? With the packages, you can revert, update,
install a bit easier without recompling (assuming constant kernel).

Its a matter of personal preference, ultimately.

Or, its the Slackware way, or the highway!!

-Ed

On 6/21/11, Martin Pagnan <mpagnan at acanac.net> wrote:
> Hi, I am a bit confused by this thread. I installed the nvidia drivers
> with the Linux installer available from the nvidia site over a year ago.
> As I recall, one just has to unpack the tar ball and run the script. It
> finds your card and kernel, asks for confirmation and proceeds to
> complete the installation for 64 bit or 32 bit - you chose. I have
> experienced no problems since installing it. So what has happened. Does
> nvidia no longer provide this utility? Why is a slackbuild needed?
>
> On 21/06/2011 10:34 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
>> Well just slap me for the noob I am. I really need to pay more
>> attention. I'm about a 900 miles away from my box and I forgot to open
>> ssh before I left.  It shouldn't be "" but " ". Anyway, a new nvidia
>> version is out and I will rejigger the script to get rid of
>> "no-compat32" download with a simpler selection scheme - ie yes/no
>> using the full nvidia package. Its just a few libs after all.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks to all for pointing out the error my ways.
>>
>> -Ed
>>

>> On 6/21/11, Greg' Ar Tourter<artourter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Thanks for providing these packages.
>>>
>>> However there is a problem when trying to compile the 64bit driver
>>> with the 32bit compatibility on both -driver and -kernel, even with
>>> the latest diff.
>>>
>>> The code in the script goes:
>>>
>>> SRCSUFFIX=${SRCSUFFIX:--no-compat32}
>>> with the added note to set SRCSUFFIX="" in order to have the 32bit layer.
>>>
>>> This doesn't actually work since setting $SRCSUFFIX to "" means that
>>> the code above will consider the variable empty and therefore set it
>>> to -no-compat32.
>>>
>>> A possible fix is included in the attached diff (applies to
>>> nvidia-driver but the same thing can be done for -kernel).
>>>
>>> hope this helps
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> ArTourter

Sent from my mobile device