[Slackbuilds-users] How to get source hostet?

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk
Wed Jun 29 08:34:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:25:00 +0100
David Woodfall <dave at dawoodfall.net> wrote:

> But as I see it source checkouts are liable to break from time to
> time. A SlackBuild IMHO should always point to a tested/working
> source.

Which is why checking out a specific revision would yield the same
result at pointing at a tarball over HTTP/FTP? I fail to see the
difference in anything but ports and agent. I was considering it for
Umplayer as well.
Much worse with a package like Chrome where 'latest' is a moving target
to say the least.

> Having said that I do keep a few dynamic SlackBuilds in my own repo,
> with a big warning about what they do and suggesting that users
> keep a backup of the last, previously working packages.

I have often thought that if one has builds that do not entirely follow
SlackBuild requirements but otherwise follow the conventions, it would
be nice to be able to search for. But of course, while having
such a database would be a godsend, keeping it current would be a slice
of purgatory...

> D.

All the best,
Morten