[Slackbuilds-users] [ANNOUNCE]: Slackware 13.37 rc1 and SBo

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:48:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org>wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:34:24 -0600
> Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 23:15:54 +0000
> > "Greg' Ar Tourter" <artourter at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There are quite a few packages that, although do not need to be
> > > upgraded to work in 13.37, they need to be recompiled as the
> > > libraries they depend on have changed.
> > > this include all the perl modules, texlive (pdftex at least does not
> > > work due to poppler) pdftk (due to libgcj). I suspect there are
> > > others but it gives a good idea of the issue.
> > >
> > > Should be bump the build number of these package on the 13.37 repo
> > > when there isn't a new version available, to help users?
> >
> > Although I see your point, we haven't done this in the past, so I'm
> > inclined to say no.
>

> Same inclination here.   :-)

Out of curiosity, what would be the potential downsides to bumping the build
numbers?
Is it just that it's inconsistent with previous releases, or that it
involves a lot of work? (I'm not implying that you're lazy, I appreciate the
valuable time you donate to helping us out.)
Or are there some other problems that it might introduce that I'm not aware
of?

I'd just like to understand the reasoning behind this decision.
Thanks,
Ben