[Slackbuilds-users] wireshark issues

Chris ABELA chris.abela at maltats.com
Wed Oct 12 07:58:04 UTC 2011

Did you run the command as root (or at least with sudo)? Normal users

can't use setcap.

If you still get "operation not permitted" when running setcap as root,

it's possible you're using a filesystem that doesn't support POSIX

capabilities. However, all the filesystem types Slackware normally uses

(the ones listed in the installer) do support capabilities, so unless

you're doing something weird/interesting/unusual, you shouldn't be having

this problem.

I confirm that I am using ext3 file system.

Thanks to your suggestions, I understood how it works:

$ sudo /sbin/setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /usr/bin/dumpcap

# wireshark

The "$" in the README is misleading

Chris