[Slackbuilds-users] Ruby Version Manager

Vincent Batts vbatts at hashbangbash.com
Mon Oct 24 14:32:21 UTC 2011

This has been left as an item, for a user to manage. While there are
options to do a system installation, it requires a suite of
permissions and acceptances that are not entirely easy to "package".
Further it would leave behind all of the ruby installations performed,
after upgrade and removal.
The development cycle of rvm is such that you are routinely expected
to do an `rvm get head` to update the rvm code. Which means the
package would almost immediately be stale and unsupportable by the
folks on the #rvm irc channel.
Plus there are further bug/security implications of having a root
executed step that stays on a git HEAD branch.
Plus plus, there are a series of discussions regarding the use of
function masking done in rvm. Wayne Seguin is an honest dude, but it
still would be an acceptance for the hole system to have basic
builtins like 'cd'  masked with an rvm function to do extra magic.
I really like rvm, and use it heavily for ruby projects, but I will
not install it across my systems.
For this reason it is encouraged to stick to the rvm as a limited user.

Take care,
vb
http://hashbangbash.com/