[Slackbuilds-users] State of python2-chardet

Mikko Varri vmj at linuxbox.fi
Thu Oct 27 20:42:32 UTC 2011

FYI,

The author of chardet Python module (known as python2-chardet on SBo)
apparently had enough and took all his toys offline.  He even removed
the chardet source code from google code.  So, currently there's no
official download site for chardet, as far as I know.

chardet seems to be listed as dependency for:

  multimedia/gaupol
  network/canto
  network/deluge
  office/rednotebook

I just submitted an update to python/python2-chardet that uses
fedoraproject.org as an alternate download source[1] (the MD5SUM
matched).  This is just a temporary workaround.

The most complete clone[2] of the source code I found was at
bitbucket.org, maintained by puzzlet.  I've asked puzzlet what the
plan is (i.e. whether he would be picking up the maintainership), but
I haven't received a reply, yet.

Let's see where the dust settles...

-vmj

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/python-chardet/