[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with libsigc++-2.2.9-i486-1_SBo.tgz

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 21:47:15 UTC 2011

On 10/28/11, Graham Lawrence <gl00637 at gmail.com> wrote:

> root at a:/usr/pkgs# updatedb
> root at a:/usr/pkgs# locate libsigc++-2*
> /usr/pkgs/libsigc++-2.2.9-i486-1_SBo.tgz

This doesn't do what you expect. On UNIX and its kin, the shell does
wildcard expansion before running commands. This means the * in your
command was never "seen" by the locate command (instead, the shell
expanded it to "libsigc++-2.2.9-i486-1_SBo.tgz", and your command ran as
"locate libsigc++-2.2.9-i486-1_SBo.tgz"). So it only found the package
file (you were probably trying to locate the files installed by the
package, not the actual package file itself...)

One way to check whether libsigc++ is installed:

$ ls /usr/lib/libsigc*.so
/usr/lib/libsigc-2.0.so

Another way:

$ pkg-config --list-all|grep -i sigc
sigc++-2.0                  libsigc++ - Typesafe signal and callback
system for C++

(The "pkg-config" command, confusingly, has nothing to do with the
slackware packaging system)

When your nzbget ./configure script fails, look for a file called
"config.log", usually found in the same directory as the configure
script. This will have the details (*lots* of details) on what the
configure script did and why it failed. Try searching for sigc++ in that
file (with "less", or with a text editor).

Another thing that happens fairly often with configure scripts: if
the script fails because some library was missing, and you install the
library and re-run the script in-place, it may fail again even though
it shouldn't... because configure scripts can cache their results. Try
completely deleting the nzbget-0.7.0 directory, untar it again, and
start over.

I just built nzbget-0.7.0 on 64-bit slackware 13.37 using the libsigc++
and libpar2 from slackbuilds.org, and it built just fine. No way to test
that it runs correctly though (I have no access to any nntp servers).