[Slackbuilds-users] certified nvidia drivers

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 03:22:12 UTC 2011

On 9/15/11, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, is anyone on this list using any of the nvidia-legacy drivers?  At the
> moment, all I have left running are a 7600GS, GT430 and GT550 for testing.
> My old TNT2, GF256 DDR, GF4 TI 4800 are long gone.  Since nouveau is almost
> there, I'm thinking about dropping support for the old chipsets not
> supported on the 28x series.

I was using nvidia-legacy96 until about a week ago. I might be re-using
that old card in someone else's Slackware machine in the near future
(it's an upgrade compared to the onboard intel graphics he's stuck
with now). He's in the "baby steps" phase of learning to use Slackware,
so effectively I'm sysadmin of his pile-of-parts PC.

Nouveau actually sucks pretty horribly on that card BTW. 3D isn't
functional, and 2D is slow (takes maybe 1/4 second to redraw a fullscreen
xterm, you can actually see it drawing). With the legacy96 driver, 3D
works (fast enough for quake 3 at 1024x768 at least, but not doom 3 at
any res) and 2D is very snappy. So I'd vote for not dropping legacy96
in favor of nouveau just yet...

Would I take over maintenance of legacy96? Probably, if I really do end
up re-using the card that needs it. Otherwise I'd have no way to test
new versions really.