[Slackbuilds-users] building texlive on -current

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Aug 4 04:01:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:46:13 -0700
Josiah Boothby <josiahb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried building a couple times: the first time without tetex, and
> then again after installing tetex to see if maybe having a system
> LaTeX available might help. In case it matters, I'm running -current
> x86_64. The build fails for me (with and without tetex) with the
> following being the last several lines before failure:
>
> checking for clisp... clisp
> checking for perl... perl
> checking for latex... no
> checking for elatex... no
> checking for lambda... no
> checking for pdflatex... no
> configure: error: LATEX is required to build xindy rules
> === configuring in xindy failed
> make[2]: *** [subutils] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20120701-source/build/utils' make[1]: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20120701-source/build/utils' make: ***
> [all-recursive] Error 1

You do indeed need either tetex or texlive installed already; the
README states this:

  "Note that this package is intended to completely replace (and
   then some) the tetex packages in Slackware, so you'll need to
   remove tetex and tetex-doc before installing TeXLive (but NOT
   before BUILDING it)."

You'll also need to make sure the tetex binaries are in PATH, so
either use "su -" to switch to root or else source /etc/profile.
http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#su --> http://slackbuilds.org/howto/#su

-RW