[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES info

xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
Tue Aug 21 20:33:49 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 12:55:57 Mikko Varri wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Now that REQUIRES field reached master branch, and there seems to be
> updates going in where the dependency list is being removed from
> READMEs: would it make sense to write a little summary about it?
>
> It seems that the REQUIRES field contains a full list of direct and
> indirect dependencies, optional and suggested packages, and then some.
> And those in ASCII order (uppercase before lowercase), which is a
> valid build order.
>
> Is this correct?
>

> -vmj
No that is not correct, It will only contain direct non optional
dependencies. Optional dependencies will need to be listed in the
README and stated what they enable. Maintainers can list the
direct required dependencies in build order or not it is up to them.
Remember that in between releases master is our work in progress
branch and should not be considered stable or final. We will
summarize changes and new policies when the 14.0 branch is closer
to a usable state.

I will also take this time to remind all maintainers that it is
very important that updates be based off of our git and not local
copies. There is going to be a lot of changes this time and the
admins will be quick to reject submissions that revert our changes.

--dsomero