[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES info

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 23:18:45 UTC 2012

On 22/08/2012, at 6:33 AM, <xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org> <xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
 > wrote:
[snip]

> Remember that in between releases master is our work in progress
> branch and should not be considered stable or final. We will
> summarize changes and new policies when the 14.0 branch is closer
> to a usable state.

At the moment, template.info contains the statement (about the
REQUIRES variable):
     "It should not list anything available in Slackware."

While new policies are not yet final, could we consider relaxing that
particular stipulation i.e. could we make the the listing of official
Slackware packages optional rather than forbidden?

At worst, if we assume building is taking place on a fully loaded
Slackware system, then including Slackware packages in the REQUIRES
field would just be superfluous and certainly harmless (and optional).

I have a use case where such information is actually useful rather
than superfluous. I run each build inside an LXC container which is
created just for that build. Rather than being a fully loaded
Slackware system, the container is a minimal system containing just
enough of the official Slackware packages to actually run a package
build script. At build time, based on the REQUIRES field, any missing
packages (both Slackware and SBo) are first installed into the
container. Of course the REQUIRES field is new so, so far, I've been
modifying the .inf files myself to include that information.

What do you all think? Any real problem with allowing official
Slackware packages in the REQUIRES field?

chris

Christoph Willing              +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland