[Slackbuilds-users] libwww-perl README's typo and discussion about dependency list

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:52:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM, LukenShiro <lukenshiro at ngi.it> wrote:
> Hi all (and happy new year :)),
>
> a kind SBo user has correctly pointed out there is a typo in
> libwww-perl's README: it currently requires "perl-http-messages", but
> the right one is "perl-http-message" (without the final 's').
>

> Another point is: which kind of dependencies should be included in
> README file. As far as I understand we need to indicate just
> direct/first level dependency packages, and not every dependency of a
> dependency submitted on SBo. The problem is more evident for perl
> modules who need a bunch of other perl modules as dependencies,
> particularly after recent unbundling on cpan.org, as we don't have a
> sort of automatic system to trace the dep chain out.
> From a user's point of view I can easily understand how better would be
> for him/her to have a complete dependency list (e.g. if package A
> depends on B, C and D; B depends on E and F; C depends on H and G, D
> depends on G, J and K; a complete list for A would be: "A requires E,
> F, B, H, G, C, J, K and D")
>
> The problem I see here concerns potential modification in 'son'
> package's dependency list who would necessarily need a modification in
> every 'father' packages' dependency list, too.
>
> Have we a particular policy on it?
> Opinions on topic are really welcome :)
>
> TIA. Regards.
>
> --
> GNU/Linux * Slackware64 current/multilib
> LU #210970 SU #12583 LM #98222/#412913

About mentioning dependencies: There is not really an official
"policy", but - chatting with the other admins - the general consensus
is that:
- you need to state the direct dependencies
- you do not need to state all the indirect dependencies, but some
maintainers do and ...
- if you do mention them all, list them in the correct order of
building / installing to avoid confusion.

Users that can't / don't want to figure out all the second-level
dependencies coul use sbopkg with queue files.

About the error in the README, you can submit a simple update, or
count on me not forgetting to fix it when I get home :)

--
Niels Horn