[Slackbuilds-users] requirements in README files

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Jul 9 22:32:13 UTC 2012

I believe the OP was just suggesting a less ad-hoc way to describe
build dependencies.

Of course thats not always uncomplicated; nevertheless for some large
percentage of software, the prerequisite packages required to build
some new software are quite clear. Why not accommodate these cases?
Whatever the format for describing the prerequisites, any builder has
the option of ignoring them.

In my own situation, I add a PREREQUISITES="...." line to the
SBo's .info file. This can be used (or not) at build time to ensure
that the prerequisite packages are installed. The parsing & checking
can be done in the .SlackBuild script itself or, if purity is
paramount, can be left to a separate wrapper script which parses
the .info file, checks the prerequisite packages are installed and
then runs the .SlackBuild.

Yes, "garbage in, garbage out". If the PRERQUISITES field contains
rubbish, its not useful; but thats also true of anything in existing
SBo's.

The same really applies for slack-required files too (for runtime
dependencies). They're not compulsory! /sbin/installpkg & friends
ignore them; so can everyone else. Why should we prevent SBo authors
including them and why should we prevent arbitrary users reading them?
Of course they're useless if they contain bogus information but we
generally trust SBo authors' scripts to be otherwise well behaved etc.
There's nothing "dangerous" going on here, just more knowledge. If
they offend you, don't look.

chris