[Slackbuilds-users] requirements in README files

J j at dawnrazor.net
Tue Jul 10 17:51:21 UTC 2012

Quoting TuxaneMedia <jens at tuxane.com>:

> But did you ever think of getting the info you need from another source
> as the SlackBuild ?
> Deps should  always be almost the same for a package
> Maybe think of the LFS Project which lists dependencies always the same
> way , even required and optional ones.

I think that doing this would likely create dependency-hell for the
person utilizing the tool - whereas the current system works very
well, if extremely manually. That it works is, of course, the most
important part.

In fact, it's so simple that it works so solidly that it's a simple
thing to automate, excepting the formatting, which is fairly
willy-nilly. I think keeping it that way (simple - not willy-nilly) is
highly desirable, and I think that the sort of dependency-checking
that starts mucking with optional stuff and concerning itself with
system packages is not something I care to try to deal with.