[Slackbuilds-users] forking SBo

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu Jul 12 13:39:45 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012, at 5:30 PM, J wrote:

> Another thing which has been mentioned a few times, and which I have
> considered off and on myself, is a fork of the repo. There are
> several reasons I have not pursued this idea; it constitutes an
> amount of work which would keep me busy doing that for an
> unrealistic amount of time, or it requires a parser able to grok our
> random requirement listings, and I'm back to square one.  I don't
> like the inelegant, brute-force nature of it, either. All that said,
> I do think it would be realistically possible, feasible, and perhaps
> even a bit sane, with more than one person working on it. And once
> the main body of work is completed, then it's on to 14.0, and once
> that is completely, significantly less work would be required moving
> forward. until $VERSION++, but that can be dealt with when it's
> reached.
>
> So, all that said. There are a number of replies from people who
> would like to see this happen. If there is anyone who would be
> interested in forking the repo, then building a system to achieve
> this, please send an email to me personally. In the end, all the
> work involved might be easier.

Hi J,

Without wanting to make a real commitment right now, I would be quite
interested in being involved. I already have a collection of SBo's for
which I've added PREREQS field to the .info file. If that approach is
acceptable, they could used more or less straight away. Building a web
interface to the whole thing will be time consuming though ...

What I'd like to try first is to submit one or two new SBo scripts
with PREREQS added in and see what the reaction is. I've made a
tentative claim on the haskall-platform package which was offered
earlier today. It needs updating and, if no one else wants it, I'll
submit a new SBo that includes a PREREQS line. If the admins accept
it, then that would be a sign in favour of not forking. I guess its
another thing to convince all the maintainers they should add PREREQS
(or whatever mechanism is finally used) to their SBo's too.

chris

Christoph Willing              +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland