[Slackbuilds-users] Submission error

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jun 19 00:01:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:33:28PM -0600, mherda at slackword.net wrote:
> As I mentioned in the original email, it's the email address I'm
> posting from, ie. mherda [at] slackword.net.

You're munging addresses in the message body, when it is clearly
available in the From: header? I am sure that spam harvesting bots
know how to read headers. Nevertheless I will humor you on that.

At first it looked like it was going to work, and then it was
rejected without explanation.

IIUC our submission form does not send an actual message, i.e., no
DATA portion, it just sends QUIT after the "250 Accepted" reply to
"RCPT TO".

"
rob0 at harrier:~$ telnet slackword.net. 25
Trying 66.147.240.171...
Connected to slackword.net..
Escape character is '^]'.
220-host371.hostmonster.com ESMTP Exim 4.76 #1 Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:45:31 -0600
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
EHLO harrier.slackbuilds.org
250-host371.hostmonster.com Hello harrier.slackbuilds.org [207.223.116.211]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<rob0 at slackbuilds.org>
250 OK
RCPT TO:<mherda at thinks-munging-is-important>
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
Subject: Testing

This worked. No idea why the form did not.
.
550 Administrative prohibition
RSET
250 Reset OK
EHLO harrier.slackbuilds.org
250-host371.hostmonster.com Hello harrier.slackbuilds.org [207.223.116.211]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<rob0 at slackbuilds.org>
250 OK
RCPT TO:<mherda at thinks-munging-is-important>
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
Subject: Failed

They are blocking us. Can't help you, sorry.
.
550 Administrative prohibition
QUIT
221 host371.hostmonster.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
"

Now that they seem to have added an "Administrative prohibition" of
mail from harrier.slackbuilds.org, perhaps you will no longer receive
list mail. Or maybe they have some kind of policy about mail without
full RFC822/2822/5322 headers.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org