[Slackbuilds-users] UrbanTerror SlackBuild

Bojan Popovic bocke at mycity.rs
Sun Oct 7 01:32:18 UTC 2012

I'm an ocassional player of UrT too. 4.1.1 works fine on 14.0. I tried
4.2 only on 13.37, but I'm downloading it again ATM (reevaluation :)).

4.2 is not packager friendly. There is no direct download link either
and what exists is not wget friendly. The new update tool doesn't accept
any command line options so it's not possible to download it
automatically without running gui.

But 4.1.1 is still available here:
http://www.urbanterror.info/downloads/previous/. That includes direct
download links.

4.1.1 seems to still work fine so it might make sense to stick
with it. 4.1.1 is also the last version that doesn't use the new ingame
auth system and there seem to exist a lot of servers still running it
(or at least working with it).

I tried the SlackBuild before, but the binary archive is ~1G and it
takes time to unpack and repackage. I find it easier to just unpack and
run.

Either way, it won't be a big damage if it gets dropped. But it would
be nice if someone takes over maintainance of 4.1.1 package for at
least some time.

As I said, it takes a lot of time for repackaging on my system. That
would also mean a lot of time for testing the package. UrT is not one
of the apps I would dedicate so much time for, so I can't offer to
take over the SB. Even if I did consider it for a short moment
(I'm still a bit of fan of the game). :)

Bojan.