[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: splitting off nvidia utilities into a separate package

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Wed Oct 24 05:54:41 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 23 October 2012 18:22:53 King Beowulf wrote:
> I'm thinking of splitting off the open source nividia utilities from
> nvidia-driver.Slackbuildto something like nvidia-utilities.Slackbuild.
> Effected files:
>
> nvidia-installer
> nvidia-settings
> nvidia-xconfig
>
> This might make it easier to update the legacynvidia driver since it
> looks like Nvidia is not always updating the versionof the tools when
> they update the driver.  Also, for those that want to run lean systems,
> and manually create a fullxorg.conf, and/or don't need the access to the
> extra functionality provided, installation of these utilities can be
> "optionalbut recommended." Thus, what could be the cons that I may not
> be considering, besides the bit of extra work?

AFAIK utilities are pretty much linked to a driver version, so splitting off
the utilities would mean having a utilities SlackBuild per driver. I have no
idea how many legacy drivers still work on 14.0, but there'd need to be a
utilities SlackBuild for each of them. IMHO that creates more overhead and
confusion than is necessary.
If utilities are not in sync with the driver version you can always define a
separate version string in the SlackBuild.

Grs,
Heinz