[Slackbuilds-users] Satus Update

xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
Sun Sep 9 22:53:42 UTC 2012

Okay guys and gals, here is a bit of an update.  We have around 520 builds
left to test and fix/remove - you can see a more or less up to date list
here:  http://www.slackbuilds.org/Checklist.txt

One thing to note is the new REQUIRES variable in the *.info files.
This variable will contain a space-separated list of all required
build-time and run-time dependencies, each named exactly as listed
on the SlackBuilds.org site.  It should not contain anything that
is part of Slackware itself.  The content of REQUIRES should no longer
be listed in the README.  The content of REQURIES should only be first
level dependences (i.e. no deps of deps).

Optional dependences should not be listed in REQUIRES - they should still
be listed in the README (and preferably will list what feature the optional
dependency provides).  If the SBo maintainer feels that a dependency is,
while techically optionally, strongly recommended enough to require it,
that is generally acceptable - we'll retain veto power on that ;-) but
we expect that it won't be an issue.

The order of REQUIRES content is irrelevant and left up to the
maintainers - in other words, we will not require nor enforce any
particular order of the contents.

We still have lots of work to do, but we think we're at the point
where you can help (a lot), and here's how:
Get a local copy of our git repo:
  git clone git://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds.git
Make sure you have the "master" branch checked out:
  git checkout master
Create a working branch and switch to it:
  git branch <yourname>
  git checkout <yourname>
Commit fixes for the stuff that you maintain - one app per commit.
In other words, don't change two different builds in a single
commit.  Once you finish, generate some patches of your branch
compared to the master branch:
  git format-patch master..<yourname>
Send those patches to us.

Alternatively, if you have your work hosted on e.g. github, you can
put such stuff in a "for-sbo" branch (or whatever) and mail us with
the information.

Understand that this mail is intended to gather fixes for the stuff
on Checklist.txt (mentioned above) - it is not for "normal" version
bumps and such.  That doesn't mean that we absolutely will not accept
them, but they are not a priority right now.  If you have some of
those sorts of updates, put them in a separate git branch and let
us know about them - perhaps we'll review and merge them as time
permits.

We will start a thread for fixes, everyone please reply to that
thread and do not quote it in your reply.

NOTE:
If you sent an earlier mail to this list, and the fixes haven't
happened already, it was probably overlooked, so here's your
opportunity to get that handled.

Thank you for your on going support.
The SlackBuilds.org Admin Team