[Slackbuilds-users] Branch naming

Binh Nguyen binhvng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:09:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:18:05 +0300
Mikko Värri <vmj at linuxbox.fi> wrote:

> Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> >
> >For future reference, it's much easier for me if you put it in a
> >branch on git://github.com/vmj/slackbuilds.git and I can pull it
> >from there.
> >

> Actually, do you guys prefer that the git branches are always named
> distinctively?
>
> This far, I've always named them after PRGNAM, and then deleted the
> branchs when it has been picked to master, and later I've reused the
> name.  Some might say that is equivalent to rebasing a public branch
> (which is a no-no).

I like to put several commits in a single branch, which is based off of
the lastest master and named whatever makes sense (checklist-fixes,
for-robby). All the changes are made locally in that single branch, and
I would carefully 'squash' the commits using 'git rebase -i' before push
them to public. This branch would then be deleted after it is picked.