[Slackbuilds-users] qemu and qemu-kvm descriptions could really do with a bit of clarification

Larry Hajali larryhaja at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 13:51:22 UTC 2013

I haven't been keeping track of qemu/qemu-kvm status on the Slackware front
but I believe that qemu/qemu-kvm will be merged in future SBo updates
(reference:
http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2013-February/010190.html).
The kqemu is only needed for older versions of qemu for better performance
or older processors that don't have VT (I believe) built into them so that
either kvm-intel/kvm-amd modules are loaded.  So, if you're building the
latest version of qemu, you should not have to worry about kqemu unless
your processor doesn't support it.

To test if you have VT capabilities the run the following
# grep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If there isn't any output then your processor doesn't support KVM and you
will need kqemu for better performance.

--Larry