[Slackbuilds-users] Missing user 'dovenull' for Dovecot

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Sun Feb 10 21:20:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:26:45 +0100
Andreas Vögele <andreas at andreasvoegele.com> wrote:

> On 10.02.2013 07:06, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently fiddling with Postfix and Dovecot from SBo (thanks
> > Alan Hicks!) and everything works fine so far.
> >
> > Out of the box, Dovecot seems to miss a 'dovenull' user besides the
> > 'dovecot' user and group. [...]
>
> I stumbled upon this too. The 'dovenull' user is listed in
> http://slackbuilds.org/uid_gid.txt but it isn't mentioned in the
> SlackBuild's README.

I don't remember what the dovenull user is used for. IIRC some one else
pushed out an add-on for dovecot at one time that might have required a
dovenull user. I don't believe dovecot itself requires one. The
following is taken from my personal mail server which runs dovecot for
IMAP.

alan at barnowl:~$ grep dove /etc/passwd
dovecot:x:202:202::/dev/null:/bin/false

Since I myself don't have the dovenull user and the script itself
doesn't look for that user in any fashion, I'm pretty certain that this
was part of some other add-on or plugin at one time.

Ecclesiastes 7:5